Monday, April 17, 2006

I Can Fix It!!!

I spoke to my friend Ron tonight. He's a funny man. There has never been a time in all of our years of friendship where he didn't make me laugh. Tonight was no exception.

He just purchased a home. He was excited. He has been working on it trying to add his own personal touches. He decided to purchase one of those sleek stainless steel double door refidgerators. Well, when it got to the house and was brought into the kitchen, Ron discovered that it would not fit. Hmmm...probably because he hadn't measured the space properly (If at all). So what is one to do at this point. You say oops, and send it back, right? Properly measure the space and then purchase the one that fits the space, right? Wrong. Not my friend! His pride would not let him admit that he didn't measure incorrectly. He said, "You know Wendy I am a man!" So, instead of taking it back and buying a smaller one that would fit the space, Ron decides to fix the problem using his own creative measures. He decided to tear down two walls in the kitchen of his new house in order to make the darn thing fit (Sounds like an episode of Home Improvement). Amazing! Now he has more work than ever (and a few additional problems that he created).

Isn't that how we do with life sometimes. We have problems, issues or situations that can be easily solved if we would just swallow our pride and admit that we were wrong or that we don't have all the answers. But NO we make life so much harder for ourselves. We have to figure a way to fix things in our own wisdom and end up worse off than in the beginning.


I believe I read in the Bible a verse about "My ways are not your ways neither are My thoughts your thoughts . . ." or how about the one about "There is a way that seems right TO A MAN (oh sorry, my bad) but the end there of . . . or what about the one that challenges us to "Lean not unto your own understanding but in all thy acknowledge Him (God) and He shall direct thy path."

Although Ron tore down two walls, and got the refridgerator to fit, it is now still too close to the oven. Now what?

No comments: